Monday

old timey graphics

I've been obsessed with antique Japanese fabrics for years, I love the subtle dark indigo and black combos.  I especially keen on katazome and kasuri styles ... the subtle  patterns are not too over the top tribal, just enough to make it interesting.

These two below are from one of my favorite etsy shops, Furugi Star out of Tokyo. 





She recently listed INCREDIBLE 100 year old katazome, and it's got my favorite cloud thing going on. what a stunner.  




I ordered this dark blue beauty from another great etsy shop, Kimono Heaven,  for displaying my work on in my booths ....



These are usually long kimono sash lengths, here's me doing a pre show stock count ... 


I love that antique Japanese prints sometimes resemble Native American prints that sometimes resemble Pennsylvania folk patterns. There's got to be something to that. 

I found these folk inspired beauties next to the smoked meat section at our farmers market, right next to the headstone salesmen, gotta love Renningers. 

While most of the time this style tends to be a bit country for me, sometimes there is a classic that holds up.  This stunner is in dark navy blue ... 



They are made by Family Heirloom Weavers outside of Lancaster, PA.  One of the last surviving textile mills in the country, they reproduce original designs from the 18th & 19th centuries and adapt them for 21st century use.  

They recently re-created the pattern from an 1867 painting by Louis Mathieu Guillaume (General Lee surrendering to General Grant) for a new floor covering. Kind of incredible ... 




This one's back and white graphic quality reminds me of the Pia Wallen blankets and the Pendleton style that is so popular these days.  

The crux is so California mission-y yet so PA Dutch folky, I'm pretty obsessed. There's got to be a connection, the crux has a pretty cool history, but that's for another time.  




I have some new designs inspired by this blanket, can't wait to bring them out this summer.  I suddenly have a craving for some smoked meats ... mmmm. 

2 comments:

brandeye said...

love the fabrics! especially that last one.

fifa-coin said...


Proceed remote controls available, the residual members walk using a hunched stride, arranging the best way to unseat another players with out removing themselves simply by hurrying inside prematurely. Time-honored songs streams through the tv speakers, but no one is also looking over at the display screen. That is Johann Sebastian Joust.Your ubiquity of online cpa networks features converted multi player gambling into a mainly remote knowledge versus faceless opponents via across the globe. And though the particular this strategy gives has experienced a positive influence on anything from high-level play to be able to approachable amusement, it has been a life threatening thorn inside the part associated with neighborhood competitors.
Fifa world coins

Fifa coins