Thursday

some whispy remnants

I've been accumulating this little pile for the last few days ...


These are the little tracings that I peel off my silver after I've cut them out. They've been staying so perfect lately I can't seem to bear to throw them away. For those of you who don't know about my ridiculously high maintenance way of doing things, this is how my jewelry starts out:


The patterns are traced onto vellum, glued to sheet silver then cut out by hand with a mini mini teeny tiny hand saw. (yes, I'm nuts. and I am actively pursuing more effective manners of production so I can actually do this thing for real.) This batch is headed for Art Star Boutique in Philadelphia, if you live around there stop in!!

So a little visual summary for fun:

I cut out the general shape of the design, then for the inner parts I drill holes with the tiniest of drill bits ...


Then I fish the blade up through (for stability reasons I cut the insides first) ...


zoomy zoom cut around the insides ...


then I cut the around the outer edge. eventually it looks like this (after hours of filing, sanding, soldering and polishing):


not exactly magic but each piece is quite well loved and attended to - spoiled little things.

No comments: